This is journey which typically takes a minimum of 6 years but can take much longer.
1. Obtain the approval of your pastor and your wife.
2. Meet with the Director of Diaconal Formation, Deacon Randy Desrochers and his Associate, Deacon Gene Leger.
3. Begin the necessary theological formation which represents on average 36 college level credit hours.
- Diaconal theological formation options in the Diocese of Lansing.
- Certificate or degree? Either is acceptable
- Financial assistance is available.
4. Apply to be an “Aspirant”
5. Once accepted into “Aspirancy”, attend 9 monthly “Aspirant” meetings with your wife.
6. Apply for the 1st of 3yrs of “Candidacy”. Each represents a blended year of didactic presentations, hands on training and service projects. One applies to proceed on to the next year at the end of each preceding year.
7. Complete all 3 years of Candidacy as well as all the necessary theological formation then apply for ordination.