The book of Exodus covers a number of major events in the life of the Jews. It reveals God as the all-powerful maker of all things, as redeemer, and as teacher. The historical moments recorded were instrumental in establishing how the Jews, and Christians after them, would worship God. It is impossible to overstate the importance of this book for Catholics, for it is here that the foundation of the liturgy and the Eucharist are established. God has provided the instructions for how to worship him and the means (sacrifice) by which to do it.
Sunday, August 22
13 Now, if I have found favor with you, please let me know your ways so that, in knowing you, I may continue to find favor with you. See, this nation is indeed your own people.
- I wonder how we can better know the Lord.
- I wonder how we bring blessing to God.
14 The Lord answered: I myself will go along, to give you rest.
- I wonder does the Lord journey with us.
- I wonder will He go where we go.
- I wonder how the Lord gives us rest.
Monday, August 23
19 The Lord answered: I will make all my goodness pass before you, and I will proclaim my name, “LORD,” before you; I who show favor to whom I will, I who grant mercy to whom I will.
- I wonder does the goodness of the Lord pass before us.
29 As Moses came down from Mount Sinai with the two tablets of the covenant in his hands, he did not know that the skin of his face had become radiant while he spoke with the Lord.
- I wonder Moses’ face was radiant after talking with God.
The Book of James
James is trying to tell us that there is much work to do to build up the kingdom of God for His followers. There will be great reward for doing the work and will of God. What can help us to know what work God has for us? What is Gods will? James gives us many examples of what God is and what God wills, for us to be patient, pure, humble…… James wants us to learn about God then to do the work of becoming like Him. To become more holy. We can search over these words like an examination of conscience, for God is the true measure of our worthiness.
Tuesday, August 24
17 all good giving and every perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of lights, with whom there is no alteration or shadow caused by change.
- I wonder what good gifts we have been given from our Father in heaven.
- I wonder why God is called the Father of lights.
Wednesday, August 25
26 For just as a body without a spirit is dead, so also faith without works is dead.
- I wonder what faith is.
- I wonder what work our faith has called us to do.
Thursday, August 26
17 But the wisdom from above is first of all pure, then peaceable, gentle, compliant, full of mercy and good fruits, without inconstancy or insincerity
- I wonder how one can gain wisdom from above.
- I wonder how one is made pure.
Friday, August 27
10 Humble yourselves before the Lord and he will exalt you.
- I wonder what is being humble.
- I wonder about this gift of being exulted.
Saturday, August 28
James 5: 7
7 Be patient, therefore, brothers, until the coming of the Lord. See how the farmer waits for the precious fruit of the earth, being patient with it until it receives the early and the late rains.
- I wonder what it will be like when Jesus comes again.
- I wonder if it is like waiting for precious fruit to grow.