The book of Exodus covers a number of major events in the life of the Jews. It reveals God as the all-powerful maker of all things, as redeemer, and as teacher. The historical moments recorded were instrumental in establishing how the Jews, and Christians after them, would worship God. It is impossible to overstate the importance of this book for Catholics, for it is here that the foundation of the liturgy and the Eucharist are established. God has provided the instructions for how to worship him and the means (sacrifice) by which to do it.
Sunday, August 15
20 You shall command the Israelites to bring you clear oil of crushed olives, to be used for the light, so that you may keep lamps burning always
- I wonder about our Sanctuary Lamp; this light shows us when Jesus is present in the consecrated bread in the tabernacle.
Monday, August 16
4 These are the vestments they shall make: a breast piece, an ephod, a robe, a brocade tunic, a turban, and a sash. In making these sacred vestments which your brother Aaron and his sons are to wear in serving as my priests,
- I wonder about the vestments the priest is privileged to wear in our church.
- I wonder if we can give thanks to God for his holy church and for the gift of his priests.
Tuesday, August 17
43 There, at the altar, I will meet the Israelites; hence, it will be made sacred by my glory.
- I wonder where we can meet God.
- I wonder what makes our Altar sacred.
- I wonder of the glory of God.
Wednesday, August 18
44 Thus I will consecrate the tent of meeting and the altar, just as I also consecrate Aaron and his sons to be my priests.
- I wonder about this special job the priest is privileged to do for God.
- I wonder can we pray for our priests to be strong and Holy.
Thursday, August 19
45 I will dwell in the midst, of the Israelites and will be their God.
- I wonder how we can know the presence of God in our Midst.
Friday, August 20
25 and blend them into sacred anointing oil, perfumed ointment expertly prepared. With this sacred anointing oil
- I wonder about the sacred oils we have in our church.
- I wonder who has prepared them for us.
- I wonder how they help bring people closer to God.
Saturday, August 21
31 Tell the Israelites: As sacred anointing oil this shall belong to me throughout your generations. 32 It may not be used in any ordinary anointing of the body, nor may you make any other oil of a like mixture. It is sacred and shall be treated as sacred by you.
- I wonder what makes these oils sacred.
- I wonder about the day we were anointed by sacred oils.