The book of Exodus covers a number of major events in the life of the Jews. It reveals God as the all-powerful maker of all things, as redeemer, and as teacher. The historical moments recorded were instrumental in establishing how the Jews, and Christians after them, would worship God. It is impossible to overstate the importance of this book for Catholics, for it is here that the foundation of the liturgy and the Eucharist are established. God has provided the instructions for how to worship him and the means (sacrifice) by which to do it.
Sunday, August 8
5 Now, if you obey me completely and keep my covenant, you will be my treasured possession among all peoples, though all the earth is mine.
The word Covenant can be explained to children to as relationship or friendship with God.
- I wonder what helps us to obey God.
- I wonder such a gift we have, to be a treasured possession of God.
- I wonder do we allow God to be our treasured possession.
Monday, August 9
3 You shall not have other gods beside me.
- I wonder are their things we have or do that are more important to us than God.
- I wonder do we put God first above everything.
7 You shall not invoke the name of the LORD, your God, in vain.
- I wonder how we could use God’s name to bring Him honor and love.
Tuesday, August 10
8 Remember the sabbath day—keep it holy.
- If Holy means with God, I wonder how a day could be Holy.
- I wonder where we could go to be with God,
- what could we read to be with God,
- What actions could we do to keep this day Holy.
- who we could show love this day to keep this day Holy.
24 In every place where I cause my name to be invoked, I will come to you and bless you.
- I wonder if we could call upon the name of the Lord.
- I wonder the many ways God comes to us.
- I wonder what it is like to be blessed by God.
Wednesday, August 11
23 See, I am sending an angel before you, to guard you on the way and bring you to the place I have prepared.
- I wonder what our Guardian angel is like, how do they guard us.
- I wonder what the place God has prepared for us is like.
Thursday, August 12
7Taking the book of the covenant, he read it aloud to the people, who answered, “All that the Lord has said, we will hear and do.”
- It is good for the Lord to teach us the right way to live.
- I wonder how we can hear and do the work of the Lord.
Friday, August 13
2 Speak to the Israelites: Let them receive contributions for me. From each you shall receive the contribution that their hearts prompt them to give me.
God is a good gift giver.
- I wonder how we can be like God and always share our blessings with others.
Saturday, August 14
8 They are to make a sanctuary for me, that I may dwell in their midst
- I wonder do we have a sanctuary for God.
- I wonder what about the gift to have God in our midst.