Sunday, June 13th
Genesis 14: 20b
“And Abram gave him a tenth of everything.” (Genesis 20b)
- What did Abram give to Melchiz’edek?
- I wonder why Abram gave Melchiz’edek a 10th of everything he had?
- Do you think that was a lot?
Monday, June 14th
Genesis 15: 1-2a
“After these things the word of the Lord came to Abram in a vision, “Fear not, Abram, I am your shield; your reward shall be very great.” But Abram said, “O Lord God, what will you give me, for I continue childless…” (Genesis 15: 1-2a)
- Who came to Abram in a vision?
- What is a vision? (a dream)
- I wonder what reward the Lord had in mind?
- I wonder what reward Abram wanted?
Tuesday, June 15th
Genesis 15: 5-6
“And he (the Lord) brought him outside and said, “Look toward heaven, and number the stars, if you are able to number them.” Then he said to him, “So shall your descendants be.” And he believed the Lord; and he reckoned it to him as righteousness.” (Genesis 15: 5-6)
- I wonder if we can count the stars?
- I wonder how many descendants God is telling Abram he will have?
Wednesday, June 16th
Genesis 17: 1-5
“When Abram was ninety-nine years old the Lord appeared to Abram, and said to him, “I am God Almighty; walk before me, and be blameless, and I will make my covenant between me and you, and will multiply you exceedingly.” Then Abram fell on his face; and God said to him, “Behold, my covenant is with you, and you shall be the father of a multitude of nations. No longer shall your name be Abram, but your name shall be Abraham; for I have made you the father of a multitude of nations. I will make you exceedingly fruitful; and I will make nations of you, and kings shall come forth from you.”’ (Genesis 17: 1-5)
- I wonder what that word “covenant” means? (a promise that cannot be broken.)
- I wonder why God changed Abram’s name to Abraham? (Abram means “exalted father” and Abraham means “father of a multitude”.)
Thursday, June 17th
Genesis 17: 15-16
“And God said to Abraham, “As for Sar’ai your wife, you shall not call her name Saria, but Sarah shall be her name. I will bless her, and moreover I will give you a son by her; I will bless her, and she shall be a mother of nations; kings of peoples shall come from her.” (Genesis 17: 15-16)
- I wonder why God change Sar’ai’s name to Sarah? (Sar’ai means “princess” and Sarah means “mother of nations”)
- What did God promise for Sarah? (That she would be a mother of nations.)
- I wonder how many people might be in a “nation”?
Friday, June 18th
Genesis 21: 2-3
“And Sarah conceived, and bore Abraham a son in his old age at the time of which God had spoken to him. Abraham called the name of his son who was born to him, whom Sarah bore him, Isaac.” (Genesis 21:2-3)
- I wonder how old Abraham was when Isaac was born? (100)
- I wonder how old Sarah was when Isaac was born? (90)
- I wonder what the name Isaac means? Should we look it up?
- Do you think that God is keeping his covenant with Abraham?
Saturday, June 19th
Genesis 24: 1-4
“Now Abraham was old, well advanced in years; and the Lord had blessed Abraham in all things. And Abraham said to his servant, the oldest of his house, who had charge of all he had, “Put your hand under my thigh, and I will make you swear by the Lord, the God of heaven and of the earth, that you will not take a wife for my son from the daughters of the Canaanites, among whom I dwell, but will go to my country and to my kindred, and take (choose) a wife for my son Isaac.” (Genesis 24: 1-4)
- I wonder how old Abraham was?
- I wonder why Abraham’s servant could not choose a wife from the Canaanite people? (Because they did not worship the one true God.)
- I wonder how far Abraham’s servant had to travel? (approx. 200 miles)
- I wonder how long it might take to get there?