Sunday, May 23rd
Acts of the Apostles 25:8
“In defending himself Paul said, ‘I have committed no crime either against the Jewish law or against the temple or against Caesar.’” (Acts of the Apostles 25:8)
- I wonder are laws important to a person’s well being?
- I wonder what gift of law God gives to us?
Monday, May 24th
Acts of the Apostles 26:18
“to open their eyes that they may turn from darkness to light and from the power of Satan to God, so that they may obtain forgiveness of sins and an inheritance among those who have been consecrated by faith in me.” (Acts of the Apostles 26:18)
- I wonder how does one turn from darkness to light?
- What is this kind of Darkness?
- What is this light?
- I wonder about this gift of forgiveness of sins?
Tuesday, May 25th
Acts of the Apostles 27:23-25
“For last night an angel of the God to whom (I) belong and whom I serve stood by me and said, ‘Do not be afraid, Paul. You are destined to stand before Caesar; and behold, for your sake, God has granted safety to all who are sailing with you.’ Therefore, keep up your courage, men; I trust in God that it will turn out as I have been told.” (Acts of the Apostles 27:23-25)
- I wonder what it is like to stand by angels?
- I wonder how we might be courageous?
- I wonder if people can trust God like Paul did?
Wednesday, May 26th
Acts of the Apostles 28:8-9
“It so happened that the father of Publius was sick with a fever and dysentery. Paul visited him and, after praying, laid his hands on him and healed him After this had taken place, the rest of the sick on the island came to Paul and were cured.” (Acts of the Apostles 28:8-9)
- I wonder was this healing coming from Paul?
- I wonder what it was like to be instantly healed or cured?
- I wonder if we have this same power within us?
As we begin the book of Genesis, rather than follow the order of chapters, we will spend this first week studying the 1st point in our Salvation History; Creation. This is a good place to linger with younger children because some of the stories in the subsequent chapters can be hard for the younger child. By pondering God’s preparation of earth for humanity we raise to our attention the love God has for each of us today.
Thursday, May 27th
Genesis 1: 1-5
“In the beginning God created the heavens and the earth. The earth was without form and void, and darkness was upon the face of the deep; and the Spirit of God was moving over the face of the waters. And God said, “Let there be light”; and there was light. And God saw that the light was good; and God separated the light from the darkness. God called the light Day, and the darkness he called Night. And there was evening and there was morning, one day.” (Genesis 1: 1-5)
- What did you hear?
- Can you imagine a time before the earth had a form (a shape)?
- Who was with God?
- God said, “Let there be light”, and what happened?
- God saw that the light was good. How is light good for us?
Friday, May 28th
Genesis 1: 6-8
“And God said, “Let there be firmament in the midst of the waters, and let it separate the waters from the waters.” And God made the firmament and separated the waters which were under the firmament from the waters which were above the firmament. And it was so. And God called the firmament Heaven. And there was evening and there was morning, a second day.” (Genesis 1: 6-8)
- What did you hear?
- Do you know this word “firmament”? (the sky)
- What did God create? (Heaven)
- What has God created so far?
Saturday, May 29th
Genesis 1: 9-13
• “And God said, “Let the waters under the heavens be gathered together into one place, and let the dry land appear.” And it was so. God called the dry land Earth, and the waters that were gathered together he called Seas. And God saw that it was good. And God said, “Let the earth put forth vegetation, plants yielding seed, and fruit trees bearing fruit in which is their seed, each according to its kind, upon the earth” And it was so. The earth brought forth vegetation, plants yielding seed according to their own kinds, and trees bearing fruit in which is their seed, each according to its kind. And God saw that it was good. And there was evening and there was morning, a third day.” (Genesis 1: 9-13)
- What did you hear?
- What did God create on the third day?
- Can you picture how the earth was coming together?
- I wonder why seeds seem to be so important?